Receive a fax manually
When you are on the phone, the person you are speaking with can send you a fax
while you are still connected. This is referred to as manual faxing. Use the instructions
in this section to receive a manual fax.
Receive a fax
You can receive faxes manually from a phone that is:
Directly connected to the device (on the 2-EXT port)
On the same phone line, but not directly connected to the device
To receive a fax manually
1. Make sure the device is turned on and you have paper loaded in the input tray.
2. Remove any originals from the document feeder tray.
3. Set the Rings to Answer setting to a high number to allow you to answer the
incoming call before the device answers. Or, turn off the Auto Answer setting so
that the device does not automatically answer incoming calls.
4. If you are currently on the phone with the sender, instruct the sender to press Start
on their fax machine.
5. When you hear fax tones from a sending fax machine, do the following:
a. Press START FAX Black or START FAX Color on the control panel.
b. When prompted, select Fax Receive.
c. After the device begins to receive the fax, you can hang up the phone or
remain on the line. The phone line is silent during fax transmission.